20/06/2013

The Made Up Campaign: not quite enough to make you blush

I recently came across the Made Up campaign, a photography project that sets out to challenge gender stereotypes. It says: 

'We typically assume that masculinity is tied to male bodies, but gender is more complex than that.'

I won't get into my views on gender stereotypes (we're two chemically and physically different sexes, we can't close the gap entirely for many reasons), but are photos of men in make-up really a revolutionary and original way to challenge anything? Men wearing make-up is hardly shocking at a time when a lot of men erm, wear make-up.


The campaign includes quotes from its participants. One says:


'I wish women didn't feel the need to wear make-up'


To say it's a shame women have to wear make up, that the poor things are shrouded with insecurity, isn't accurate.Women have help on bad days to cover blemishes and tired eyes - if anything men, should be jealous that it's more socially acceptable for us to do so. But the campaign seems to have overlooked this misunderstanding.

I'm not really sure how the project 'challenges societal constructions', but take a look if you fancy looking at boring photos of men in lipstick, looking unimpressed and saying completely counter-productive things, such as this:





3 comments:

  1. I agree that guys wearing make-up isn't really an expression of understanding gender equality, but there still exists prejudice against men expressing femininity. You only have to look at how someone like Alex Reid gets called a weirdo because he's a crossdresser to see that it exists in an open and accepted way. That sort of thinking seems to highlight your point about how do you establish 'equality' when their exists biological boundaries that need to be thought through more rigorously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sick of men thinking they're acting as some sort of saviour by saying that women don't need to wear make up. No, women don't NEED to wear make up, but maybe it's got nothing to do with you.

    That quote... I... uh. I'm not convinced that I understand it. Do women wear make up to look submissive? Perhaps I am particularly dominant because I hardly ever wear make up. I can't imagine feeling very submissive if I were wearing bright red lipstick and feathery fake eyelashes, but submission isn't necessarily anything to do with aesthetics... so. Self-sufficiency is what makes a girl interested in a guy, ey? 'Grows own fruit and veg' is top of my list of qualities of the perfect man, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, they think they're so kind saying it!

      I have no idea what wearing make-up has to do with being submissive. It makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure quotes like that aren't doing the project any good. 'Making their own clothes' is top of my man wish list!

      Delete