08/11/2012

The Daily Challenge, Day Eight: Celebrity

There's a mountainous array of topics I could write about relating to the word 'celebrity'. But I'm just going to complain. I resemble a middle-aged man in many aspects of life, and this is definitely one of them. When it comes to celebrities, I just don't get it.

I'm not saying that I'm above finding people admirable or that I don't have anyone who inspires me. But that's exactly my point - what do the majority of people admire about modern day celebrities? Looking at it objectively - the front cover of Heat, Closer and other weekly celebrity magazines are covered with ex-Big Brother contestants, reality TV 'stars' and other celebrities that would struggle to find a talent between them. But these magazines sell - meaning that the half-wits on the front cover are the people that the general public find fascinating.

There are a few people that, if I saw them in the street, I'd be starstruck. The amount of times I've wondered what it would be like to be behind Jon Ronson in a queue... But none of the people that deserve my admiration are famous because they've been on a reality show, or were in a girl band and can't even sing. I don't mean to sound all holier-than-thou, but how can I look up to someone who's famous for being annoying/stupid/addicted to drugs/good at getting plastic surgery?

Okay, so if I saw someone from Made In Chelsea walk past me I might get a little excited, but I would get over it in a couple of minutes. I'm interested in people because of their brains. Whether that be a musician, comedian or journalist. One of the most exciting things that's ever happened to me was when I saw Ian Hislop's office at Private Eye HQ. My god, I really am a middle-aged man.

No comments:

Post a Comment