11/05/2013

Jess' Daily Roundup

Working full-time, I have come to realise, doesn't leave much time for anything else. So I find it's nice to spend a day catching up with what's going on in the world once in a while, rather than rely on the half an hour I squeeze in on my lunch break to skim-read the headlines whilst trying not to drop food out of my mouth/onto my desk.



And that's precisely what I've done today. It's nice to feel a little more informed, even if I forget everything I've read by the end of the day. So I thought I'd do a little bit of a different post today, and give you an subjective daily round-up of what articles I've enjoyed reading today.  


Climate milestone is a moment of symbolic significance on road of idiocy


I have a conflicting relationship with the news. I want to read and learn, but a lot of the time I end up a nervous wreck after five minutes of NHS, climate, government and economy-related bad news that all seem to allude to the fact that we're screwed. 

There's no question that being well-informed comes at a price. I have terrible morbid fascination, though - if I see a scary headline I'll read it then regret it for the rest of the day. And this is what happened with this article, so stop reading now if you have the willpower. 

This article reports that carbon dioxide levels have reached 400 parts per million for the first time in human history, which apparently is really bad. It indicates a great big failure in politics, the article says - apparently 400 ppm is 'a figure that belongs to a different era.'



Don't let your imaginary friends lead you astray



...because Saturdays wouldn't feel right without Oliver Burkeman.

Ricky Gervais To Reprise His Role As The Office's David Brent For A YouTube Series


This is just the best news ever (for fans of The Office, probably mediocre at best for those who aren't). The article says that David Brent will return in the form of a monthly YouTube videos titled Learn Guitar With David Brent. I'll definitely be investing in a guitar.

I've never read any of Dan Brown's work, and now I've read this I never will. Great article!

I'm definitely not the only sucker for cute photos of animals on the internet - especially when it involves different species being best friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment