15/09/2011

Natwhat!?

"If you don't know the system, the system will screw you", I was kindly told recently on inquiring about tax. Despite being dropped into the adult world earlier this year, I'm yet to get my head around it. However, the past few days have given me a cold, hard introduction to how the real world is.

Monday, my bedroom: "Jess, this is a prestigious business calling. We want you to come in for an interview for our unpaid Internship for two months, to write articles every day. And I know what you're thinking, yes we are based in London."

Tuesday, Islington, London: After an interview that involved getting passionate about commas, "you've got the internship!"

Later on that day, in a cocktail bar with a friend, feeling totally like a Londoner: "I even lost my favourite vintage coat today on a bus, but I don't care. London here I come!"

At this point, I admit with regret that I thought all would be okay. I naively believed that my trusty bank would give me a lovely low interest graduate loan, and see me on my merry way to London, waving goodbye as I mounted my train with as much hope as luggage.

Wednesday: "Yes, I know we're your trusty bank, but our loan stands at 16.5% APR. Would you like me to set one up for you now?" I ran out of there quicker than I would have ran towards a vintage clothing sale run by Ian Hislop (that is, VERY fast). And that was it, game over.

I later moaned to my dad, saying that it was frustrating because the only thing holding me back from the most amazing opportunity ever presented to me, was money. He kindly reminded me that money makes the world go round, and that unfortunately it is everything. Damn it. I think I shall keep my head firmly in the clouds, I may get 'screwed' more, but from what I've experienced so far, it's a much happier place.

After a few months of bad luck, this time I cannot feel the usual relief in tricking myself into believing that it wasn't meant to be. It was.

Thursday: Inevitable, bitter blog post, AKA my only remaining hope.



As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow-  Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment